Faison History (Time Line)
TIMELINE OF FAISON (1733)
1733 – The area that eventually became Faison was first settled around 1733.
Early settlers included Faison, Hicks, Hill, Oates (in 1740)
1776 – Henry Faison purchased a 975 acre tract of land, on July 2, 1776, that would later become the Town of Faison
1790 – Faison Cemetery
1793 – Union Church operated from 1793-1888 and its congregation included Episcopalians, Methodist, Presbyterians, and Baptist
1835 – The William Wright House house was built.
18xx – The Elias Faison House was built.
1838 – Wilmington and Raleigh Railroad tracks connected through Faison’s Depot parallel to the stage coach road. In 1840, the rail was completed an the 161.25 miles of rail was the longest railroad in the world, at that time.
1853 – Isham Faison House “Liberty Hall” was built.
1854 – Wilmington and Weldon Railroad
1857 – Isham R. Faison House was built. –
1861-65 Civil War. In 1865, Sherman’s army stayed in the Isham R. Faison House during its march through the South.
1872 – Town of Faison was Chartered on February 10, 1872.
1888 – Faison Depot Train Station
188x-1923 The Faison Male Academy was founded in the late 19th century and operated until early 1900’s.
1923-1955 – Faison School operated (bldg. demolished in 1974)
1935 – Cates Pickle Company was founded by Charles F Cates and Sons
1945 – The Faison Fruit & Vegetable Exchange was formed. The downtown produce market moved outside of town on Hwy 403.
1955 – North Duplin School was formed by Calypso and Faison about 5 miles east of Faison on Hwy 403
Much of Faison’s early history is documented and resides in the Faison Library & Museum, which is housed in the historic Faison Depot station, c1888. Museum collections include, photo albums, scrap books, old papers, diaries, and letters, maps, old school books from the 1800’s, photo images, paintings and portraits, and historical artifacts. These items are contained within the Faison Museum and in various public and private collections that can be viewed by appointment. The goal is to make as many of these collections, as practical, accessible online at FaisonDepot.com. Various”Collections” are included for online viewing and research throughout the FaisonDepot website under menu items, “Faison Museum”, “History & Genealogy”, “1860’s-1960’s”, and “Our Veterans”
Convenient Links to FaisonDepot.com include:
Another topic of interest is “Our Veterans”. Below is a link to a database table of more than 700 veterans from the Faison Area that fought in America’s wars.
The best way to learn of the extensive historical information that is available about Faison’s history is to click on the following link and observe the many menu and sub-menu topics: